Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Lync / Skype for Business
Skype for Business, Removing stored password with Windows Credential Manager
This page describes how to clear Windows Credential Manager to remove stored Skype for Business login credentials
Windows Credential Manager is a service on Windows that stores login credentials to allow Skype for Business and other services to login automatically at start up. This can sometimes cause problems logging in, one of the first steps in troubleshooting failed logins in Windows should be removing those stored credentials from the vault.
- To do that you first need to make sure you have fully exited the Skype for Business client.
- Then go to the Start menu and find the control panel (settings). In the control panel search for Credential Manager and open it.
- Under Windows Credentials > Generic Credentials, there should be an entry that starts "Microsoft_OC1:uri=" and "MicrosoftOffice16..."
- These are the stored Skype for Business credentials.
- Click the downward arrow to expand the credential and then at the bottom of the credential select Remove.
Make sure to remove ALL the credentials starting "Microsoft_OC1:uri=" and "MicrosoftOffice16..." as any of them could be the one causing the problem.
After this try to log in to Skype for Business again.
Note: If you have managed the settings of different Skype for Business accounts when logged in to your Windows account, and the previous steps didn't resolve all issue, please repeat them with the following additional steps in File Explorer:
- Navigate to Users > [Your Username] > AppData > Local > Microsoft > Office > 16.0 > Lync
- Delete the sip_profileName folder.
- Delete all files in Tracing folder. Do not delete the folder itself.
- Restart computer, for good measure.