Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Office 365
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Email
Office 365, Email, Exchange, Outlook, Add a second account to Outlook
How to add a Resource/Group account to Outlook
If you have access to a shared mailbox (resource account), it is possible to add it as a second account to Outlook. This allows you to use your email account as well as the resource account at the same time.
If you have the box for "Let me set up my account manually checked" in Advanced options under where you input your account's email address, choose Office365. This box is unnecessary to check due to auto-discover for University exchange accounts.
If you also have send-as permission on the resource account, this process will place messages sent from the resource account into the Sent Items folder of the resource account. Outlook will also create a separate cache file (.OST) for each account, which can really help with performance and file size limits.
- Click the File tab in Outlook's ribbon, to the left of Home at the top of the screen.
- Under the Account Information heading, you should see your @illinois.edu account already listed as a Microsoft Exchange entry.
Click the "+ Add Account" button below this.
- In the window that appears, there will only be one text field, for 'Email address' - enter the resource account's full address into this box and click the blue Connect button.
- Another window will appear with a University-branded sign-in page, with the resource account's address already filled in
- Enter your own account's e-mail address, click Next, and enter your own account's password, rather than the resource account's.
- Click the 'Sign in' button. You may be prompted to perform 2-factor authentication if it is enabled for your account.
- The University-branded sign-in window will close, and Outlook will report 'Account successfully added'.
- Click Done, then completely close Outlook. When it is next opened, the resource account will populate.
Adding a shared account
- With Outlook for Mac open, click on the word "Outlook" in the upper left-hand corner just to the right of the Apple icon.
- Select "Settings..." from the drop-down menu that appears and then in the new window that pops up, click on "Accounts" under the "Personal Settings" section.
- A window with the word "Accounts" in the upper left should appear with your own personal account listed.
- Under the text in the second larger box, there should be three buttons. Click on the button labeled "Delegation and Sharing."
- A new window will show up with two sections in the upper middle. Click on "Shared with me" and in this section click on the "+" icon in the lower left.
- A window should show up titled "Open Mailbox..." - type the address or the display name of the account you would like to add.
- Click on the account, which should highlight, and then click "Add" in the lower right.
- Click "Done" in the lower right-hand corner and close the accounts window. You should now see the second account added.
Adding a second account
- With Outlook for Mac open, click on the word "Outlook" in the upper right-hand corner just to the right of the Apple icon.
- Selecting "Settings..." from the drop-down menu that appears and then in the new window that pops up, click on "Account" under the "Personal Settings" section.
- A window with the word "Accounts" in the upper right should appear with your own personal account listed.
- In the lower left-hand corner click on the "+" icon and select "New Account..."
- An add account window will pop up. Enter the full address of the account you want to add.
- A new window will show up asking for the account's password - enter that here.
- The new account should now be added
If you have send-as permissions on the resource account, this process will place messages sent from the resource account into your Sent Items folder. All mailboxes will be cached to the same file (.OST) which can have a negative impact on performance and reliability.
- Open Outlook.
- Click on File.
- Click on Account Settings. And Account Settings, again. You should see your account already listed.
- Click on your account.
- Click on Change.
- Click on More Settings...
- Click on the Advanced Tab.
- Click Add.
- Type in the Account Name (eg. Resource Account.)
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Click Close.