Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Office 365
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Email
Office 365, ProPlus, Device Based Subscription
Device Based Subscription: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/device-based-licensing
With respect to MECM:
- On 1/7/2020 the managed Office 365 applications will be updated with a new version of the setup utility. All deployments to UofI endpoints that meet requirements going forward will activate using DBS.
- Existing installations of Office 365 will need to leverage either an MECM Configuration Baseline or Group Policy to direct the endpoint to leverage DBS. This will not impact the end-user experience.
- This can be done by deploying the ‘Set Office 365 Device-Based Licensing’ Configuration Item, under ‘\Assets and Compliance\Overview\Compliance Settings\Configuration Items’, as a Configuration Baseline in MECM, set to remediate non-compliance where found.
- Alternatively, this key can be set via Group Policy, by creating ‘HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\O365ProPlusRetail.DeviceBasedLicensing’ with a value of ‘1’.
MECM console path:
“\Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Applications\MANAGED APPLICATIONS\Microsoft\Office 365”
Does Device Based Activation work for Mac machines?
No. At this time Microsoft does not offer a device registration method of Office 365 ProPlus. Individuals are encouraged to use the Office 365 ProPlus option from the Office 365 portal. See Office 365 Installation instructions in the following knowledge article: Microsoft Office 365, Office Software Installation / Activation / Troubleshooting / Cannot Edit on Mac
I used a User account or my own NetID to register the license on a device previous to DBS, how do I get my license back?
You can reclaim licenses used this way by logging into portal.office.com
What are the Requirements for DBS?
- Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise must be installed on a device running a supported version of Windows 11, Windows 10 General Availability Channel (or Semi-Annual Channel, its previous name), Windows Server 2022, or Windows Server 2019.
- Version 1907 or later of Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise.
- Hybrid-joined to Azure AD. (This will be automatic for all UofI-joined endpoints).
Endpoints that don’t meet these requirements will need to either leverage user-based activation of Office 365, or install Office 2019. Due to the limited availability of MAK for Office 2019 Endpoint Services will not be hosting it via SCCM. For information on acquiring Office 2019, see WebStore, Microsoft 2019 and Newer Product release.
Left: User based