Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas@Illinois , How To Enable Microsoft’s Immersive Reader
Immersive Reader is a free tool from Microsoft designed to improve reading and writing for people, regardless of their age or ability. While it is built into Microsoft Word and the web version of Outlook, the Immersive Reader is also tightly integrated in Canvas and available in the individual account settings for every user.
The Immersive Reader can improve reading comprehension and increase fluency for English language learners. It can also help build confidence for emerging readers learning to read at higher levels, and offer text decoding solutions for students with learning differences such as dyslexia.
Immersive Reader lets users:
- Change font size, text spacing, and background colour.
- Split up words into syllables.
- Highlight verbs, nouns, adjectives and sub-clauses.
- Choose between two fonts optimised to help with reading.
- Read out text aloud, and change the speed of reading.
- Go to your Account Settings from the left hand menu.
Scroll down to User Features and enable Microsoft Immersive Reader: