Topics Map > Vetstar > How To Articles
Vetstar - Client Communications Screen
Vetstar Client Communications Log provides a tool for recording communications with clients and referring veterinarians. When communication comments are finalized, they become part of the patient electronic medical record. You should add a communication when you have a conversation regarding any updates on a hospitalized patient or discussing a concern that the client might have. Conversations regarding estimates, bills, complaints, should always be documented. These communications, along with signed consent forms, are vital in any dispute scenarios. Get into a habit of completing detailed documentation of your patient care and client communications, will serve you well as you move on in your career.
Video Training Link: Client Communications
Accessing the Comm Log
- Access your patient’s account in Vetstar. (Vetstar - Client / Patient Account Lookup and Home Screen Overview )
- Access the Client Communication Log screen using one of the following options:
- Click on the Comm. Log button on the left side of the screen or enter quick command cc for all communications on an account or cc2 for patient specific communications
Note: If 4 Comm. Log is yellow, it means there are communications on the account.
Viewing All Communications
- To view all communications, click on the Report button found on the right side of the communication screen and then select Verify.
- A report will display with all of the communications for each pet.
Add a communication
- Click on the Add icon at the top right or press F5 . (The Add button will turn red and the mode bar at the bottom of the screen will say ADD.)
- Complete communications information one field at a time using the Enter or Right Arrow key to advance from field to field.
Communication data entry field info
- Date and Time: defaults to the current date and time. Change if necessary.
- Patient: automatically enters the patient selected on the HOME screen.
- Opr: is populated with the operator code (not the doctor code) of the person that is logged into Vetstar. You can see your operator code next to the phrase ‘Live’ near the top right of the screen.
- Method: Type the code followed by the Enter key (you may also enter the method using text such as ‘phone’. Common method of communication codes are p (phone), em (email), m (mail), i (in person). You can also press F4 or click on the Window icon at the top of the screen, then press the Enter key, to see available codes.
- T/F Entry: t (To) and f (From)
- Contact: Enter a code to automatically enter a name associated with the Vetstar account into the next field (Spoke To). Screen tips at the bottom left of the screen display available codes. Contact code: (C)lient, (RV) ref.vet,(PC) prim vet, (IC) insur, (F)arm
- If you enter C, for client, it will automatically enter the client’s name that you have pulled up. (from the Home page).
- Typing PC will automatically enter primary care/referring veterinarian, if there is one selected for this account. Note: For Referring Vet, choose PC Prim Vet. Do not choose RV for referring Vet (rDVM)
- If you leave Contact blank, you can manually enter who you spoke to in the Spoke To: field.
- If you spoke with someone not listed on the Vetstar account, such as a relative, trainer, co-owner, or friend of the owner, leave the Contact field blank and include that information in the ‘Spoke To’ field.
- It is extremely important that you document all conversations regarding the patient and be clear as to who they are and list their full name. Example for spouse Spoke To: entry: Spoke with Owners husband John smith via his cell phone (xxx)xxx-xxxx.
- Regarding: his is an optional field but you are encouraged to make notes of the general conversation topic. (think of it as a subject line)
- Communications Comments editor: Here you can enter detailed notes about the communication.
- Press the Enter key to access the comments screen and write your comments.
- When in the Communications Comments editor, you cannot use the keyboard to move out of the screen (e.g. save, finalize, or cancel). You must use the mouse.
- You can copy and paste by right clicking in the editor and choosing the appropriate action. ctrl+c nor ctrl+v work)
- Enter your comments. Anything you type in the record can be requested by the owner, as part of the medical record. Be professional
- You can Save your comments and come back throughout the day if needed.
- Finalize your comments immediately after you are finished adding all of your ntoes.
- Click on the Verify button on the right side of the screen. (In order to sign/verify your communication, you must be signed in as the operator in Vetstar.)
- Enter your PIN at the prompt (Your pin is a unique password that equivalents your electronic signature. This should have been set at your first Vestar login. Typically we recommend making it the same as your password.) If you have forgotten your PIN please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with a reset.
- Once verified, nobody can edit the communication and it will turn red in the communication log.
Adding an Addendum
- Go to the communication screen and select your communication and select Notes.
- You will see a warning, This comment has been finalized. Add addenda to modify. Select OK.
- The Communication Comments Editor will appear. Select Addendum and enter additional information and click Verify when finished.
- If a communication has been finalized/verified, and additional information needs added, you may enter the finalized communication, and add an additional addendum.
What to do if you make a Mistake
If you make a mistake and a finalized communication needs to be corrected, contact email@example.com.